Stimmen: 20 3,2%
  • German is my native language

Stimmen: 391 63,0%
  • I can speak the language better then most Germans

Stimmen: 95 15,3%

• Anzahl der Umfrageteilnehmer

CrisGer

Gläubiger
I wish i spoke better German, my father is fluent and my grandparents came from Germany and Austria so they were native speakers of it but i was not allowed to learn. Not sure why now, but i regret it. Hope to learn someday.

eppel12

Ungläubiger
I know some words in german . Started to learn it this year . But i still don't have the idea how to make a sentence .

CrisGer

Gläubiger
Hello Akira-san sorry for slow reply. My father would have allowed it I think but my mother I believe decided that we would only speak English in our home. so i missed learning German from my Grandmother who was born in Austria and my grandfather who was from the Black Forest. They both came to the US when they were 12 and 14 and lived here all their lives and were wonderful people. My father is fluent and spent time in Germany in the war on special work, and i had cousins in the Kreigsmazrine, three of whom were captains of ships, one a destroyer in the Baltic and two of submarines including the U 223 which was sunk in the Mediterranean. Another cousin was General Student's pilot, and flew Mussollini out of Italy and had a very interesting career. I would have loved to be able to know and talk to them and other family (i am quite old) but was not able to. So that was the story of the language. I still hope maybe to learn but don't have the energy now...sorry to be slow in replying.

Scaar

Novize
Hi all I'm also a native german speaker but due to my job I often have to speak english.
I think the best way to learn a language is to try and compared to some other nations normally germans are happy if someone wants to speak German no matter how good it is.

Just try.

And a small notice some germans speak worse than people live here 4-5 years.

golfsta

Ordensbruder
German grammar is awfully complicated. I am a native speaker myself (otherwise i could not be bothered to learn it i guess) but this may also be an incentive: 99% of the Germans cannot apply the Grammar correctly and make at least minor mistakes on a regular basis.

While that does not make it easier to learn, it may take a bit of the pressure out of it. ^^

Oben