How good is your English?

How good is your English?

• Anzahl der Umfrageteilnehmer

selfmademan

Ordenspriester
My English is good schoolenglish, i guess. I wish i could improve it a bit, but i´m a little exhausted of concret learning :mauer:. I studied all together 24 semester and now, i have enough of learning "under pressure". We even had one semester with seminar of scientific-english^^'.
But i like to watch english TV and like to see the Monty Pythons flying circus. And now for something completly different ...

CeFoWn

Novize
Being a Norwegian but watching everything from not being Norwegian TV shows but instead English tv, games, anime, etc..
Learn English since kindergarten to, I'm quite comfortable with talking but writing English is even worse. As you can see..

bravemon

Novize
I think I'm able to make myself understandable, but I hope that I will never meet a Grammar-Freak in discussions.
I dislike these People and their harsh behaviors. ( already in German-speaking forums)
I made countless encounters with those kinds of people. And I never really got it. I mean as long as people understand each other, even by the gist of it, why should there be a problem.
I dunno, it's a pet peeve of mine as well.

I think my English is good. Playing English RPGs and chatting in MMOs US servers growing up helped a lot in that. (I told you, Mom! Games were educational for me!)

Malphas

I am the end!
Otaku Veteran
As a matter of fact, I already voted on how good my english is.
I voted "very good" like, 8 years ago, that was self deluding, as my english was pretty much poor by then, it was enough to read most of the content on the internet, and basic conversations through a chat, by now my english knowledge raised to a very good level, if I may say so.
Understanding songs, movies and even talking to "native" americans, is nothing of a problem anymore.
Though I'm not quite able to do buisness talk, like negotiating, also my technical english is pretty poor, I'm still having problems with terms like: stud, washer and so on.

Hi there!

My English is pretty good - since I'm familiar with some native speaking Americans and I have to communicate a lot in business with international people where it's not stated that all of them talk German fluently.

My basic skills were fundamentals in my time of visiting school. Through working and talking to Englisch and American people I gained some great experience in this language.

I have no problems in understanding songs, reading and writing some text messages as well as talking to other people.
(The only hillarius situations are French people trying to talk English ^.^ - sometimes I have problems in understanding them.)

Don Ecchi

Ordensbruder
Native speaker here, although I've not been to my native country since very early childhood.
Which means that my English skills never progressed to include understanding spoken British or Australian.
And probably no deep-south rural American English either...
But reading comprehension and writing skills are just fine! :)

Kamikusa

Novize
When I started learning english at school, it bored me and I was so bad that I had to take an extra-curicular exam just to pass the year. Then, I stumbled over a fanfiction of the Negon Genesis Evangelion which, sadly, had only been partially translated to german. So I had no chance but to actually chew through the original text and thanks to the writing style of the author, I started to enjoy the english language. After I finished the fanfiction, I moved on to Magic the Gathering's Novels (which had also not been translated yet). After school, I took an apprenticeship as a foreign languages secretary and made my hobby my job :D

Thanks Rakna, for writing The one I love is ... - you had quite a noticably impact on my life :-)

Anubis2005

Novize
Lived in the Uk for 9 years and sometimes i really miss speaking the language on a daily basis. Written and spoken english, native style

casrads

Novize
I think my English ist alright and it should be enough to have nice and clean conversations.
Well I guess (hope) that the Person who stands in front of me understands me, lol.

Good enough to hold conversations but prefer writing than speaking
Sometimes, I have mixed feelings (don't know why) when some foreign words are adapted to english (when one word in that language must be described as several words in english) e.g. schadenfreude

Shr1r1n0vsk1

Gläubiger
It's good enough. I'm able to discuss work related stuff with my coworkers and partners. It's also no issue for me to do a bit of small talk. It's something I learned juts by experiencing it. I'm frequently traveling all around europe due to my job and english is the language everyone seems to know at least a little. I'm not saying, that my english is correct, only that I am understandable. I'm 100% sure a native speaker would just facepalm and walk away, if I said I was really good :)

When it comes to understanding (as in hearing and reading), I started getting good at it when I was in middle school. Back then computer games were not localized in the most cases, so I had to make those words in the games make sense to me. Same thing with movies. It was either pirate a movie and watch it in english, or wait 3 months or sometimes even longer until it is released in german. And back in the days, pirating over ISDN actually meant leaving the download on over night and still getting only crappy quality material. But watching english movies really helps, more than school lessons in germany at least.

skyyks

Gläubiger
My english should be decent i use it quite often with friends and customers and nobody ever complained.

Oben