[Diskussion] Idol anime--the good, the bad, the ugly

teae

Novize
Lately I've seen a resurgence of idol anime.

• Uta no Prince-sama
  • Love Live!
  • The iDOLM@STER
  • Aikatsu!
  • Pretty Rhythm
  • AKB0048
  • Koi-ken!

just a few examples from the last 2 years.

What do you guys think of them? What about the genre in general? When I first started watching anime--idol anime along with sports anime were my least liked genres. I've mellowed out but they are both still hard to swallow. I think my biggest gripe is the shallowness of the idol genre. It is a shallow profession so that is to be expected....
well each show uses that differently. I enjoy Aikatsu! because it focuses on hard work (and selling a card game) of the girls rather than being 'instant idols' like with Koi-Ken! which I did not enjoy as they spent -3% of the time actually practicing.

Then there are the in-between shows. "Almost idol anime" like Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch and Senki Zesshou Symphogear which has a nice balance. Do you guys like these shows more when it comes to idols?

Generally, i don't watch many animes of this genre. I've only seen up to now The IDOLM@STER.

The series have only little value and I wouldn't hesitate to consider it as a waste of time for those who aren't fans of "IM"-series. While there can be found good songs, its animation is a great drawback - it's awfully static and poorly made giving the feeling it was made in rush or with low budget. Single arcs are badly paced, and the whole story is poorly executed when depending mainly on cliches. It also lacks proper character development which is crucial for this kind of shows.

CrisGer

Gläubiger
Love Live! is wonderful and has the best anime values in all ways. I realy like it and the OP is one of the best of the genre I have ever seen, very good and even moving in some ways. Others are not as good but try hard like the new one Wake Up Girls! It has good art but i am not sold on the story. It is hard to move fast into a group story and if you leave any of the main characters out it gets weird fast. the AKB spin off series that the real girls actually did voicing for is fun but a bit far out for me.

does shows like Senki Zesshou Symphogear count?
if so i dont really enjoy watching them but they are interesting and one of the really few shows that ive watched with lots of singing involved.

millhi15

Ungläubiger
I like idol anime but not all. I started to like it when I watched Idolmaster.
I dont know if Pichi pichi pitch an idol anime, because they are fighting by singing music but still I watched it both season 1 and 2, i like also Love Live.

nders

Ungläubiger
used to like PSP idolmaster the game so I went to watch idolmaster anime at that time... and WTF turned out to be a space anime. after then idol anime is off my list forever

only watched idolm@ster and locodol. can't say about others
from the synopsis of the anime, the story line may be the same
that's why i stopped

Petpunk

Gläubiger
I don't like anything music related on my shows, but I admit im tempted to try one, just one. idolm@ster maybe? I don't really know, I want to try the best what do you recomend?

Suin238

Gläubiger
I'm sure some of them are great... it's just hard for me to get past the blatant pandering involved with idols.

zhane

Gläubiger
Hardly find appel over this kind of anime, but enjoyed watching The IDOLM@STER.
One of my friends love this thing in RL, but hardly convience him watch this kind of anime.

Kira20

Gläubiger
Music style or genre anime is okay, well to me but I just don't seems to have much interest when compared to other genres. But IDOLM@STER is good, at least to me. Watched Love Live! for the characters (lol) and if this counts, I enjoyed Your Lie in April but can't really say its idol-related though.

zhane

Gläubiger
The only anime i watched with in this genre is Idolm@ster. In the past, trying to watch love live, aikatsu, AKB048 etc but never have enough motivation to start it.

panzain

Novize
Only watched Idolm@ster. Really more of a nod to Idolm@ster fans, but still fun. Personally liked the music and quirky characters. Have been thinking about watching Love Live since I've been playing the mobile game, but I just can't find the drive to start.

gyahaha

Novize
the thing with idol anime, is that it is supposedly really profitable....the producer could double down on song, merchandise, etc...so they are really rising nowadays

Oben