[Diskussion] Impression meets prejudice of Germans

ParaW

Novize
Well, many of us make assumptions all the time about one thing or another. Even more if one is unfamiliar with the subject for which the assumption is about. You can also say, that people develop these assumptions into prejudices, if influenced by external sources like media, acquaintances and so on. But do they also apply?

I would like to know about your assumptions/prejudices or impressions of Germans.

In my opinion German people might appear grumpy, pre-occupied or busy, but thats just on the surface. They are mostly helpful, very cheerfull and will give you a smile if you feel down. For many years now I'm living in Germany and didn't repend it.
But I also heard of certain prejudice surrounding Germany. By hearing the word Germany, some people instantly think of Hitler and the Nazis. But Germany is just like the European countries surrounding it.
Part of the reason might be the combinated power of bad education and the media, which is constantly bringing up Germany's history. Of course, most people then are missleaded and blind to their own ignorance.

americant

Novize
Well, the language sounds a little bit severe and hard unlike e.g. French. So, there is a hard, severe picture of Germans.

cashdash

Ordenspriester
I don't think its about the Language, cause in the world are other Languages which sounds sharper and harder than german. One point in my oppinion is, i mean when you turn on your TV, what are you seeing on the most channels whos airing Documentary? Nothing but World War 2, Hitler, Nazis and so on.... it makes me Sick.... Sure it was bad, but we have nothing to do with the Time (and at School we learnd alot about it...)... I think most of the Younger People in germany are Suffering because they are born as Germany. I mean, when someone says Hes Proud to be a German.... what will the most of the People Say? In germany the most People (indeed we have a large amount of foreign immigrants, in fact it has nothing to do with them, but some of them are the ones who throws the Stones first) would say that this Someone is a Nazi... and the Media is not going to do something about it... Ask the People of the other Countrys, i think in Europe you would hear the germans are hospitable and easy to deal with, especially from our neighbours, but when you ask somone whos not from Europe, for exemple from the US, they have the Stereotypical german people in mind.

americant

Novize
Yes, the media has a large influence, but the Nazi picture of Germans is a cliche itself. Not all Americans believe in that. For example we believe that Germans are fat and tall, hardworking but very naive people who can't express their emotions very well. You can say stiff. But nonetheless we like cars from Germany.
And the problem with German's proud: Well, I guess it has also something to do with the confidence. Criticism alone can't be the reason NOT to be proud of something. Unless it's pride and not proud.

copyright

Novize
Here in the Netherlands we think Americans are all fat because they eat to much fast-food. And that there is violence all over the place.

Ishiki

Novize
I know the rejection of the Germans abroad quite well. When I tell at my university that I am from Germany, I am often viewed only once wrong.
There are even some who believe Hitler would still be in power!
Well, it helps only smile ...

But there are positive things!
Female students love German men´s! ^^

Its the same with Austria....just ask an American what he knows about Austria.

The answer will be "Are there Kangaroos?" or "You guys still like Hitler, dont you?"

qwertzqwertz

Scriptor
I don't think its about the Language, cause in the world are other Languages which sounds sharper and harder than german. One point in my oppinion is, i mean when you turn on your TV, what are you seeing on the most channels whos airing Documentary? Nothing but World War 2, Hitler, Nazis and so on.... it makes me Sick.... Sure it was bad, but we have nothing to do with the Time (and at School we learnd alot about it...)... I think most of the Younger People in germany are Suffering because they are born as Germany. I mean, when someone says Hes Proud to be a German.... what will the most of the People Say? In germany the most People (indeed we have a large amount of foreign immigrants, in fact it has nothing to do with them, but some of them are the ones who throws the Stones first) would say that this Someone is a Nazi... and the Media is not going to do something about it... Ask the People of the other Countrys, i think in Europe you would hear the germans are hospitable and easy to deal with, especially from our neighbours, but when you ask somone whos not from Europe, for exemple from the US, they have the Stereotypical german people in mind.
I absolutely agree with that. A good example can be found in "The awful german language" by mark twain, who was never confronted with hitler and the 3th reich. he describes german as a mild sunding language. at least to some point. :)

"Verdammt," and its variations and enlargements, are words which have plenty of meaning, but the sounds are so mild and ineffectual that German ladies can use them without sin

versude

Ungläubiger
Well as an Australian when i think of germany or germans I tend to think of either really good at soccer/football ( you smashed us in the world cup :S ), really good engineering, Autobahnen ( no speedlimits for the win) and Inspector Rex.
Also I don't associate germans with nazi's or the holocaust. What a previous generation may have done has no bearing on what the current generations are like.

As for the sound of the german language, I would describe it as gutteral and is a far bigger turn on than french could ever be.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Clockw0rk

Ungläubiger
I took first year German in college, and quite a lot of it was learning about German culture in addition to basic German language. It's all a bit rusty now, but I got the impression that Germans are a rather well educated people given their school system and there's a remarkable amount of diverse architecture ranging from very modern and stylized buildings to towns and cities which are well rooted in period designs.

I would love to visit some day, and perhaps learn more conversational German rather than the very basic introduction I had in college.

I also agree with jacklebott; some of my favorite big bust models are German!

First of all: I'm not German xD" Sorry for my bad German ... and English ... and French ... and Japanese ... and Korean xD"

German language sounds like a barbarian language (Sorry, in my opinion it's a difficult language ...).
Germans looks cold, because they don't smile often and don't greet back, if I greet them.
If Germans greet, it's easy to overhear it ... Yeah, I don't hear "hi" well, if you spell it quiet ... It sounds like the passing wind.
It's better to say "Guten Morgen", Guten Tag" or "Guten Abend". You've much more words beside "hi".

I'm sorry, I don't see often German in "betrunken torkelnde Gehverhalten". Where are Nazis?! I don't see them (I kick their ass before I remark they're nazis).
I know Germans don't look nice, but they are helpful. You can say "Ich habe Schweinegrippe kombiniert mit Vogelgrippe. Achja, ich habe noch BSE im Kopf", but they will help you. They are not nazis! Nobody try to kill you *lol* Do you ever see a nazi eat pizza, baguettes, croissant, ramen (instant noodle), döner, wiener schnitzel, ... ?! Germans watch animes and hentais, too.
I'm really don't care what other people say about Germans. I know the Germans, because I live in Germany. I really like to live in Germany, even the winter is cold.

I don't really understand, why German care about their "image". I don't care, if you call me nazi, adolf or pimpf. I know the people don't try to find more about Germany.
> They don't through hurt people.
> They really don't care about your origin (= Herkunft).
> They call every white, black, yellow people from Germany nazi. Yeah, they call an asian nazi.
> They don't know the meaning of nazi. Yeah, nazis are bad guys and ... ? Are all Germans bad guys ?

You don't need to mind be called nazi, because they don't know the meaning of it. You are helpful people. I know you try to help the developing/third world. You know, you are good guys.

If you meet a "Brillenschlange mit Schlitzaugen" on the street, greet him/her please :D

Aquifel

Novize
I have honestly never heard any modern prejudices against Germans. With old people, of course, there is still the nazi thing, but thats almost completely died out (I know they still exist, but its not really a just germany thing anymore). I guess, Oktoberfest is a big thing that a lot of people from outside germany associate with it, all i can think of.

Oben