[Frage] Anime - School - English

Movr

Novize
My english improved a bit when i started read visual novels.
School didn't help too much, maybe having fun it's the simpler way to learn something.

KrayZ33

Gläubiger
My english is far from perfect, but it was a lot worse before I started watching Anime.

I was able to notice bigger improvements after reading LN though, they are really easy to read and fun too.

I improved a lot reading mangas, but before that playing puzzle games (like silent hill) was my starting point. And now the anime subtitles help me reading faster. Bakemonogari is the best example of that haha.

magasspin

Individueller Benutzertitel
First off, it can't never be wrong to improve by reading, but in my experience there is a slightly difference between a translated text from another language and text that's written freely especially from a native. Subtitles have a thin vocabulary and mostly dialogs.

Just read one page from a random Visual noval or book and if your lucky you can tell the difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

i think it definitely did, i mean reading lots of English forces you to understand what you are reading so you have to google a lot if you don't know what it says

zhane

Gläubiger
My english improved first on console game (PSone) years back.
After that watching anime rather than improving my english, it's improving my japanese.

Absinthe

Novize
You can always learn/improve your language skills when watching something subbed in another language. Even if you have a very basic knowledge of the language you're watching/reading the content in you'll be able to at least pick up random words.

Falvern2345

Gläubiger
I'm learning some common Japanese phrases and expressions from watching Anime and reading Manga. Though my professor told me that watching anime/reading manga doesn't teach me proper Japanese since the form of the language that they use is quite informal. I read/watch for the exposure and familiarity of the Language.
As for English, our country is using English as an Official language so it's a requirement for children to learn it. haha

eckko

Novize
I'm learning some common Japanese phrases and expressions from watching Anime and reading Manga.
Same actually, but more of the latter. What I do is machine-translate manga that I want to read.
I use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software to parse Japanese characters within their bubbles and then modify the characters, if need be, through the editor. Obviously along the way I translate these using Google Translate and Translation Aggregator. Once I get to the end, I just make a PDF where I can read and select text along the way to translate as I read so I don't have to repeat this process over and over. Pretty neat.
And I know what you're thinking, ew Google Translate, right? But Google Translate isn't all that you do. There are many sentences that seem off, some phrases that seem incoherent, or even some assemblies of characters that are untranslatable. That's why you're a human on the internet: research. Online translators aren't very fond of onomatopoeia or slang, so those are easily googleable. Some authors like to add some immersion in their works in the form of dialect, and you can account for those differences through simple googling and memorization.

Oben