[Diskussion] Top Horror Animes Thread!

Hello people of the English section.

What are your favorite horror animes?

I haven't watched many but I enjoyed "Another" and the first few iterations of "Higurashi" (felt stale after being done so many times).

Discuss you favorite Horror Animes. I'm interested into getting into more myself.

csubakka

Novize
Horror is a pretty wide genre.
I'd like to mention Ergo Proxy, with its really good atmosphere, though I'm not sure how well that fits the genre

YuukoXD

Novize
I haven't seen much horror animes since the only ones I watched are higurashi and another.

I thought Another was pretty scary (some parts) and as for Higurashi, I can't really comment on it because I dropped it after 17-18 episodes in (just found the series a bit wild lol).

Shallala

Novize
If you mean classical horror and monsters(Vampires, Zombies) and somewhat more blood and gore:
Elfen Lied
Blassreiter
Zaion
Kurozuka
Gate Keepers
Attack on Titan

Windfury

Novize
Yeah, horror is a pretty wide genre.

RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~ or just Mnemosyne, for some gross stuff, they darken the scenes. Not really that scary, but some scenes could be a bit disturbing for some viewers.
Deadman Wonderland could probably fit the bill as well, too bad they had to censor some stuff that would otherwise make some viewers cringe.
Other stuff not yet mentioned in this thread which could be classified as horror include: Ga-Rei-Zero, Blood+, Shiki, Speed Grapher, Gantz, Kara no Kyoukai: the Garden of sinners, Claymore, Berserk.

Jungyo

Ungläubiger
Ghost Hound for psychological horror.
Midori because of its disturbing scenes.
Urban Legend Story Hikiko which is a decent J-Horror OVA even if it looks like a cheap videogame cutscene.
Also 90's OVAs like Violence Jack and Genocyber for those who like gorefests.

teae

Novize
I'd have to say Mononoke was pretty scary. It balanced psychological and physical really well as it told small stories each of which was disturbing in their own light. It's difficult for an anime to be scary since it's animated which is why horror works so well for regular movies--you feel it's real because it looks real.

Higurashi is the best anime horror series I've seen and Elfen Lied is also pretty good. I also love Shiki. That show is a lot of fun, and they build the tension extremely well. Definitely a fun rollercoaster ride. Both the climb and the drop are great.

CrisGer

Gläubiger
One thing that was hard to accept in anime for me and stil is in some ways is the extreme graphic nature of some of the most extreme series, They do not hold back, Effen Lied is a good example it is just terrible and some of the worst is even at the start yet people go on and on about how great it is. Frankly i think it is terrble but it sure is horror. There are many others for it is a popular genre in Jaapan, some of the supernatural series are partly horror too. So it will remain a part of anime that i dont get tinto too far but it is fun to talk about it none the less.

+1 For Gantz. The later in the manga (the Osaka campaing) its pretty sick.
Also already comented, Claymore, Attack on Titan, and the like.
And some ecchi High School of the Dead.

Seeker320

Ungläubiger
The one I like the best is Boogiepop Phantom, without any doubt. I also like Blood: the Last Vampire, the original movie from the year 2000. I like Darkstallkers, but mostly because of the videogames and Morrigan, as an anime itself it has almost no value. Many people liked Vampire Hunter D back on it's days, I was never too fond of it.

Oben