[Frage] Which video quality you choose to watch a series? Why?

Clown ReeD

Gläubiger
I used to watch only 720p, cause my old internet connection wouldn't allow for more. Since I have a LOT more down-speed now, I can choose. Flashy shows I watch in 1080p, while more narrative focused shows I watch in 720p, since the smaller picture makes it easier to read the subtitles while paying attention to the characters.

fr3akz111

Gläubiger
the bigger the screen, the better the quality. that's generally the rule of thumb. small screen? skip the 1080p. I have a 70" tv which i used to enjoy my series. I need the 1080p. the quality gets pretty obvious. Heck, if i can find 4k easily, i probably would dl that

Amaducias

Gläubiger
I used to watch only 720p, cause my old internet connection wouldn't allow for more. Since I have a LOT more down-speed now, I can choose. Flashy shows I watch in 1080p, while more narrative focused shows I watch in 720p, since the smaller picture makes it easier to read the subtitles while paying attention to the characters.
So you never watch full screen? :O Hell I traded in my 16:10 for a 16:9 so I'd encounter less black borders :p

iG.BurNIng

Novize
if you ever watched 1080p(which i do),

it's hard to back to 480p (but sometimes 720p can because some video not provided 1080p)

Clown ReeD

Gläubiger
So you never watch full screen? :O Hell I traded in my 16:10 for a 16:9 so I'd encounter less black borders :p
Yes, I do actually watch in full screen. I have a 16:9 second, smaller monitor, which I use for the full screen when watching 1080p shows.

if you ever watched 1080p(which i do),

it's hard to back to 480p (but sometimes 720p can because some video not provided 1080p)
Absolutely. Once you have gone past 480p, there is simply no turning back anymore. I am very glad that the internet, legal and illegal parts equally, have greatly improved their video streaming quality over the past few years.

eckko

Novize
Most recent anime have been produced in 720p or higher, so there's no point in going higher than 720p unless you know for sure that the series has been produced in 1080p or higher, especially since things advertised in 1080p can be just poor upscales by greedy studios. 720p can also be upscales, but this is generally in older works, so you won't really need to worry about that nowadays.

NayanZ

Novize
I like to watch BD'rips with the hightest bitrate encoded with H264/H265 codec 1080/720 because if I watching them in a monitor with 3440 resolution they can be a little to blurry even with the software help. The only downside is that if I lwant to watch them with SVP4 then the color is downsampled to 8bits.

x34r0

Novize
at least 720p. it's a good quality to watch and uses not much space on the hdd - although, for some series 1080p (those which I really like) for the "best" quality

Oben