[Frage] Which video quality you choose to watch a series? Why?

I'm often fine with 480p actually and don't go especially out of my way to find something special during the TV run (and if only a single sub group does a series it's not like you have much choice other than what you get). Though, I think these days most fansub releases are 720p anyway, just see the recent season where I loved Drifters. HS released all of those in 720p.
Basically ... for TV runs I take what's offered.
Once the BD rips start turning up I'll go with the 720p version if I get the choice.

Why? Simply because a 1080p version is generally too huge for comfort. It's usually not 50% larger or even double, but often triple or more.
The difference between 720p and 1080p for anime just ain't worth that kind of space on my limited HDD space.

Tzi

Gläubiger
Nowadays I literally wait for a series to become 1080p. There are so many of them out there that are already 1080p and I haven't seen yet, that I always have enough material to watch. If a series has been out for 5 years or more then I start to don't care about quality anymore, because at this point of time it seems to be unlikely that this series will get a 1080p release at all.

GyD

Novize
I always go for the highest available, in order to have the best quality. I've never seen 4k animes but I'll give it a try if I found some one day.

Edema Ruh

Novize
1080p23 is more than enough for me, because I don't have UHD panel, and I don't see any reason to buy one in the nearest future. SD can be fine too, but only when there is no other choice, and only with MadVR.

Tabula42

Gläubiger
I usually go with 720p, most of the time there's no noticable difference between that and 1080p. The file size can often be much smaller as well, which means streaming/downloading uses less bandwidth and buffers faster.

I only have a 1080p screen anyway, so maybe it matters for bigger resolutions but for me the quality is pretty much the same. If I really anticipate an anime or if it's a movie, then I might get the 1080p version just in case it looks better.

Sagiri-chan

Kawaii ◕‿◕✿
I would absolutely choose 1080p but i dont find so much animes in the resolution, they are most likely 720p. Depends on the anime itself and where you watch it.
Did you find many animies in 1080p and if so, where ?

raidnoir

Novize
For me it has always been dependent on file size. when we were only in dial up i had to stick with rmvb files. then cameslow DSL which can accommodate the 360p or the normal 700x400 one.

With the fast DSLs at around 5 years ago then the standard 480p. It was only when we had speeds on 3mbps that i "sometimes" get 720p and those are for good shows only. After the 10 mbps update then all of my shows are now usually at 720p. now at 20 mbps i download most at 1080p since my smartphone also supports that resolution but i am fine with 720p due to disk space concerns lol

PoiuyZ

Novize
More than the quality of the video, I choose for the quality of the subtitles. So the normal thing for me is usually 720p

neoasherz

Novize
I remember watching Neon Genesis Evangelion on VHS (man, I'm old). Everything is digital and HD now, but going back to that format somehow makes it more nostalgic and a bit more enjoyable to rewatch.

Oben