WoH Board: Anime & Hentai Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Frage] Anime - School - English

FunSilky

Novize
Hey,
wanna ask u guys if there are any improvements in your english skills which you have gained through watching/reading animes&mangas.
And if you do learn like that. How are ur methods?


Greetings :tralalalala:
 
ahhh... that´s a good question ;)
in my opinion, everything you read can help you learning a language as well as watching everything in a foreign language improves your skills. but as i read a lot of mangas in english, i´d say, yes, it helps. at least you get to know many interesting words no teacher ever tells you about *smile*
most of the time, i´m quite lazy when i come across a word i don´t know. i try to read the context and if this word happens to appear often or if i get the feeling, it could be important to know, i ask leo...
as i realize just now, writing has it´s own difficulties ^^
 
I gained some skills in japanese watching anime, but it worked just for expressions and basic phrases and words. My conclusion: Read and watch Anime (in any language) AFTER a little course.
 
obviously you'll start picking up Japanese specially if you watch LOTS of anime. English hmm well it depends on the subtitles some fansubs the grammar they makes hit the pause button and start googling the words before carrying on. :huh:
 
I picked up my English in forums and through songs. The hundreds of hours of anime I watched with English subs probably didn't help me much, as those usually use really simple and short sentences (with some exceptions like the Monogatari series).
 
I don't think subtitled media is the way to go here. If you really want to get better at English you have to watch English dubbed things, preferably not animes, lol. These dubs are bloody bad most of the time.. well just like the german ones. Just start watching movies / other series on English, you'll improve significantly if you keep doing everything, gaming too for instance, in English.
 
I watch my Anime with Eng SUB, and with this I improfed my vocabulary. At the beginning I needet to translate in every sentences one word, now I dont have any problems with reading the SUB.
The same with Manga. Now I began to read Books in English, when I was a Noob in English a few years before.
I think I can writh English now better the German. Im only on English sites on the Web. This forum is the only German one.
As you can see my english isn't great, so you can expext my German is worser then this.
 
For me I can say that anime helped improving my English. It began with the interest to watch episodes that wasn't aired in German yet or discovering anime which would never be aired in Germany.
Well, I'm still far away from having good english skills but its good enough for an impatient person like me :D
 
Surround yourself with any foreign language if you want to learn it. At some point you will need to go to the bathroom and will need to figure out how to ask!
 
I learned english by playing video games and watching english movies (good old pirating times, when we had only 128k download via two isdn connections).
Anime and manga help me in the same way, with this I get a constant stream of english thrown at me, which ultimately leads to new vocabulary.
And I also started to pick up some japanese too.

It's just like some mentioned before, the more you are exposed to a foreign language, the more you will be able to understand.


Writing and speaking on the other hand will need practice, I get mad at myself on a daily basis, just because I know what I want to say in english, with the right vocabulary at hand, but simply not knowing how to put the words in a grammatically correct order >.<
 
@weioh that would be the most effective way to master a language since to properly learning any language one needs to be in the language environment for 6h daily!

in order to improve my English I have learnt that the most effective way, especially regarding the pronunciation, is to watch English movies but at the same time having English subtitles!
 
anime improves my vocab in english and japanese
rather than focusing on the languages, some anime portray culture, history and interesting places which are more valuable to me
 
Zurück
Oben