Philosophy: the Meaning of Life

Halibay

Novize
Come on, everyone knows the meaning of life is 42. But seriously the meaning of life is to live, get married, have 2.5 children and then die, and maybe if you are lucky you will actually do something that matters.

The meaning of life is to reproduce. Spread like a virus. The earth is a PC and humanity is the uber trojan fuckin up the systemz.

Oil is the CPU.

Natural Gases are the RAM.

Nature? GIGAHURTZ.

If the world was somehow /b/ we'd be the newfags.

So go forth, be the best damn viruses you can be! See a kitten? Kick it and scream "MIND SHARE HAX!" :twinkle:

errr

:megane:As a Christian, my meaning of life is God. To follow his will. >.> Sounds contradicting but really it's all I suppose I should do. I guess in other terms, what gives you purpose everyday is your meaning of life.:sob:

TheSexy

Ungläubiger
theory three, for me.
i find it highly improbable for a judging being such as god to exist. I could imagine something creating the first *whatever*, from which the universe as we know it developed, but too much of a hypothesis to predict an afterlife, simply because the thought of "nothing" is too abstract for a human to think.
Bluntly: I am, because without me being able to think this, I wouldn't realize the world being. The world world wouldn't "be" to me. A world my senses can not sense, does not exist - to me. And I can not know which never came through my senses into my mind.

Anyway, from the belief of no sense of life comes freedom to do what you want. This leads to free hedonism - the search for the most fun possible. Quite liberating for many, I guess. To me, it's no beautiful conclusion, but I found no way yet, to deny it.

Seems I'm not that good at having fun xD

-noa-

Novize
some of you pretty much covered the meaning of aristoteles ethic. he said that everything we do is only for the purpose of being happy. to me life is a pursuit of happiness. i dont need a higher goal or meaning of life if the moment im living in right now is good.

we have some good comments here,,
(and all posted below are just my own opinions and not meant to insult anyones beliefs)

>Maybe existence itself is not even relevant
yes, our existence is just a huge coincident in a cosmic scale

and the simpliest anwer is "self pleasure"
we just want to make ourselfs pleased, what ever it may be, like family, religion, entertainment or job

We often ask for a meaning of life, yet ignore the other questions pertaining to the eternal dilemma we sentient beings ask ourselves:
What is our purpose?
What is our goal?
As we have limitless freedom in our minds to think of the answers to those two questions, one can definitely move the question of 'meaning' back, focusing on more direct queries as to why we are here.

Let us bring this philosophical, existentialist topic further, shall we?

Thaddeus

Novize
I would say that the purpose of life is somehow connected to the greatest mechanism ever - evolution.
We humans are the latest product of an near infinite process of development, starting from an enourmous room filled with nothing but gas. Maybe God is a mad scientist that started this experiment aeons ago, and the meaning of life is just evolve further to get him new results :D

for us humans, life is just what you make of it. We are given near limitless freedom and its our choice whether we contribute to the world or try to focus on our own wealth or fall into despair or PWN SOME NOOBZ or whatever :megane:

imploder

Ungläubiger
In regard to...

"Theory #3: the dark, grim, depressing theory: life is 'without' meaning. we live because we have no other choise. We live our lives oblivious to the fact that everthing we do is in vain. life is pointless and death is meaningles."

I would ask what sense of meaningless you refer to. The nihilist train of thought you refer to can trace much of its origin to Nietzsche who argued that ultimately life has no divine cosmic meaning however he also felt that man might ascribe his own meaning.

If my life has meaning to me then it is not meaningless. At the very least the existence of mankind has meaning as a result of the simple fact that all men value their existence and the existence of those they love.

hentai321

Novize
Never knew that living has a meaning to it...

Wish someone would have asked us if we wanted to be born, but noooo.... we are just there and looking for a meaning, thats mean.... :P

But stupid joke aside.. i guess everyone has a different own unique meaning to his life, but meh..

TimmyTX

Novize
Has anybody thought about the possibility that there maybe is no big meaning of life?
Maybe we are just here ...for a while. And we have to live for the moment because it will be over very soon.

Oben