How good is your English?

How good is your English?

• Anzahl der Umfrageteilnehmer

Expanding Flan

Gläubiger
My grammar is definitely good, but I usually get nervous when I actually have to speak. I'm the only one who can handle English at my work, so they usually call me if there's a foreign customer or something.

Clown ReeD

Gläubiger
I had the privilege of growing up in a bilingual home. Father American, mother German. That definitively gave me an edge in German schooling as well as in everything related to the internet :D

Falvern2345

Gläubiger
I use English when writing and chatting over the internet [even with my local peers] but use my native language (Fil) when speaking [since English speakers here are treated like elitists]. I'm kinda shy too and don't speak too much irl :P

English is not my native language, but I'm pretty well versed in both reading, writing and speaking it.
After all, you can't get around it. Be it TV, radio, internet or games ... it's everywhere. Heck, even on the job I need it daily.

magasspin

Individueller Benutzertitel
I totally would swear that it's splendid but then I was for a visit in scottland. First off, when english isn't your native language there are turms and phrases you never heard of. Even so my english is damn-good, for me it is hard to follow up real discussions were you actually feel that there is more to an language than words or sentences.

On my trip I had simular experiences, like this:
http://www.wimp.com/patrick-stewart-recites-a-poem-in-his-native-yorkshire-dialect/

mandibles

Ungläubiger
Im a ntive english speaker so of course mine is pretty good. I like to talk to non native speakers. hearing/reading their mistakes and idioms often gives insights into their culture.

Tabula42

Gläubiger
I think mine is pretty good, given that I'm a native speaker. That might sounds obvious but I have many international friends who speak/know better English than some of the native speakers I've talked to.

I used to visit community language learning websites to help other people speak English when I was in college. I didn't really learn much of other languages but I enjoyed helping people study and it was interesting to hear the reasons why they found certain things difficult, it was usually different depending on what their native language was.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Sagiri-chan

Kawaii ◕‿◕✿
Yeah, sometiimes the grammat is a bit confusing but i think my english could be way worse...but it could be a lot better too xD
if it comes to a conversation, i may lack of the self confidence to speak completely free :/

Tzi

Gläubiger
I'm basically at the point where I tend to use english words instead of their german translation. I feel like it's getting worse. I am really good in understanding english now, even if it's a dialect or slang. But I am not confident in speaking it. I know how to pronounce it perfectly. In addition, I am confident in pronouncing the (for germans) infamous "th" correctly, but I just don't have the routine in doing so xD
There's pretty much no situation where I really have to speak english.

Sagiri-chan

Kawaii ◕‿◕✿
I would say, its okay. I can have a conversation with it. And that good enough for me.
I would like to speak it more often so i can learn it a lil bit more, because its nothing more than the usual skills you get from school ^^

Oben